ProjectMENTOR pairs Wimberley area students in grades 7-11 with professional artists for a semester-long apprenticeship.
Students experience the creative process from conception to sale, learning both the business and creation aspects of being a working artist.
Work sessions are held December-April, resulting in an end-of-program art show and reception, held in early May.
1. ProjectART Wimberley will open projectMENTOR up to student applications in November 2023 for the spring 2024 program. Student selections will be made with budget, transportation, and availability considerations in mind, however, student enthusiasm, great communication, and a strong commitment to the program goals are qualities we will especially seek out.
2. Student and mentor artists will aim to have at least 6 work sessions together at the mentor artist’s studio between December 2023 and April 2024. These sessions will be held outside of the school day and the student artist’s guardian agrees to be responsible for chaperoning the work sessions as well as transportation to and from the artist’s studio. Should transportation be an obstacle, please reach out and we’ll make accommodations, if possible.
3. Work sessions will include sharing information about how artists get ideas and make creative decisions, how art is made, and how they price and sell their work.
4. At least two works of art will be created in these sessions: one to be kept by the student artist and one to be given to projectART Wimberley on or before April 30, 2024 for the projectMENTOR gallery show with all proceeds from the art sales benefitting the projecTMENTOR program.
5. Upon completion of the program, student artists agree to provide projectART with a written statement about working with their mentor artist and what they gained from the experience.
6. Upon completion, mentor artists agree to provide projectART with a written statement about working with their student artists and what they gained from the experience. They also agree to submit wall label information for the art show (name, title, date, medium, etc.).